Sunday, October 25, 2009

Turn of the Century Clothing!!! Find out Where I Find Fabulous Vintage Stuff! Get Tips for Thrifting!

A beautiful 1900's jacket...great colors. In the same box is the amazing skirt. How often do you see this type of clothing in this type of condition? Pretty cool! And, yes, it's for sale.


One of my favorite places to find cool stuff, i.e., vintage clothing, vintage buttons, cool furniture (such as the sideboard I wrote about earlier), I could go on and on, is the Salvation Army in Ozark, AL. Just 10 minutes from my house.

The SA had an amazing donation of a storage unit packed full of fabulous estate quality items. I took pics of some of the stuff on a recent stop I made with my girls.


Another fabulous jacket. I didn't pull it all the way out of the box because it was quite fragile. Amazing detail! Also in the box was the skirt and an umbrella.


My daughter Regan in a vintage hat and the cape that went with the black jacket.


More fabulous stuff from the estate........


And more in the showcase.......


Say Cheese! Brenda, the manager and Corey an employee.....super nice people.


Some of my recent purchases from the SA that were from the estate.......

I drooled over this 1920's indian ethnic trim, about 2 yards. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet, but I LOVE it! Betcha won't find this in Hancock Fabrics.


This rhinestone shoe clip that I glued a bail to and then threaded with black ribbon....it made such a purdy necklace. I wore it to church today and got lots of compliments. It'll be for sale at the next show that I do.



And last, but definitely not least.....
This fabulous art deco bakelite button that I strung onto a thin chain. The button has a gorgeous amber tortoise shell look that I was unable to capture in the pic. So, so pretty in real life ;}


Some tips for junking in thrift shops:
Go often. I used to go like, um, about every day. Yeah, I know silly, but that's how you get the good stuff. I don't go as much as I used to, a little baby sure can slow you down.
Get to know the employees. I've noticed in some shops, they're really nice and in others not so much. In the SA they're nice.
You sort of have to pick through things. This takes patience and I like doing it. Many people I know don't. To me, it's an adventure and exciting; that's how you find the treasure.
If there's something specific you're looking for, let the manager or an employee know. Sometimes things are hidden or haven't been brought out yet.

3 comments:

  1. We went to some shops this weekend that I know you would have loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Stephanie, like vintage stuff or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go here often...Love it!

    Have you ever been on the World's Longest Yard Sale? It's heaven!

    ReplyDelete